Ezra Pound in Venice
CHIESA DELLA SALUTE (1631-1687)
Designed by Baldassarre Longhena, it is one of the best examples of Baroque architecture in Venice. Its construction is a votive offering to the Virgin Mary by the Venetians for deliverance from the plague break out in 1630.
A thin triangular point of division between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal.
The seventeenth-century building is a Benoni’s work.
At the time of the Venetian Republic the whole building, thanks to its central location between the Basin of San Marco and the mouth of the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal, was used as headquarters for customs offices for the goods imported by the shipping trade. Today it houses the Centre for Contemporary Art François Pinault.
GALLERIES OF THE ACADEMY
Retain the best collection of Venetian art, especially the period from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century. Among the artists represented there are Giorgione, Giovanni Bellini, Carpaccio, Tintoretto and Tiziano. Galleries also preserved the famous Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci (displayed only on special occasions).